Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bidadari Cemetery

My weekend trip today was to Bidadari Cemetery, recommended by L, who accompanied me this morning.

The aim was actually to bird-watch, but we did not see any interesting ones besides some orioles, bulbuls, koels, etc.

P1000124
To say that it is a cemetery is actually incorrect, since most, if not all of the graves were already exhumed. It is now a place as we observed, for people to jog and walk their dogs.

P1000130
However, quite a lot of nice trees like this Tembusu, Fagraea fragrans still stands. Its branching seems like upward point fingers, rather appropriate for a cemetery tree I suppose?

P1000202
There were many other common trees along the area which I won’t blog about. One plant which I was particularly curious about is this tree.

P1000134

The fruits resembles the Noni, Morinda citrifolia, but all of these leaves look much lighter green in colour. Could this be a different Morinda? A check in Kwek’s vascular flora list however shows that M. citrifolia is the only tree, while the rest are climbers… Update: Morinda elliptica. Thanks VB for the ID. Update: Seems like this plant is STILL Morinda citrifolia, according to Kew, even though it looks very different from the the Morinda citrifolia. Update: Apparently, M. elliptica is still valid, according to Razafimandimbison (2009). Thanks Kwek for the research.

P1000139
It took me a moment to recall this rather common wayside tree, Gliricidia sepium. This was my first time seeing its flower.

P1000159 copy
This cemetery is one of the few places to see this variable squirrel. Though exotic, we can’t help exclaiming about its cuteness!

P1000178
I managed to take two close ups of the squirrel. This one above crossing its arms while hanging outside down…

P1000179
And another picture of it biting a branch. I also saw it nibbling on the leaves of this Gliricidia. Part of its diet?

P1000201

A Clerodendrum sp. It looks like the hydrid C. x speciosum.

P1000249
After finishing our walk, we realised that we were very close to SPCA, so we went in to have a look. This cat with beautiful blue eyes was my favourite!

P1000245

Two adorable kittens here…

P1000253
Another kitten which L was particularly attached to.

P1000268
Our next point is to investigate a forest fragment near Hougang Ave 3. Just at the forest edge, we were rudely interrupted by these four dogs.

P1000270
It was always nice to see streams in the forest. Gives me the delusion that it is a freshwater swamp forest.

P1000276

However, I was rather disappointed that the vegetation in the forest were all common plants. Sea almond, fish-tail palm, Banyan and starfruits trees; money plant climbers; Pandan and Alocasia near the stream, and the ground sprawling with Piper sarmentosum.

P1000279

Remains of a village? Or is this some valuable antique?

I decided to leave soon after staying no more than 20 minutes since there was nothing new to discover and the undergrowth was very also thick (scared of snakes).

P1000282
I was pretty upset that my Anta track pants which has served me well was torn. What’s worse was that that the attached compass and rubber tip of my two weeks old hiking stick came out and was no where to be found. Damn… =.=”

Not sure whether I will keep up my weekly fieldtrips since my goody field trip kaki L will be going on SEP for a year soon. All the best!

4 comments:

Kok Sheng said...

Your squirrel photos are SUPER CUTE!!! :)

SY said...

Cos the squirrel IS cute~ lol

Shucolat said...

i love your blog :) thanks for writing!

ts said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...